Saturday, March 19, 2011

Like a Yo-Yo

I have been in and out of my mind for the last several years.

This night seemed as good as any I have ever had to just sit down and write a blog, even though (this has plagued me since I started), I have no reason to write; or at least no reason that I can think of. I have done nothing worthwhile in my life that has ever merited any attention (as anyone will tell you), yet I seem to feel a sense of wanting to keep going about life in the exact same way that I always have. I imagine that I have some sort of abstract idea or dream of accomplishing something great or being someone great, but I don't really know why. While it's true that I do go to college, I am neither snobbish nor rich, and therefore have no reason to expect greatness of myself.

However (side note) I am thinking more and more that accomplishment is usually decided after the fact, or even after the accomplisher is dead. Not always, I admit, but rarely. There aren't just oodles of movies or books about something that some great somebody has "accomplished" while said 'great somebody' is still living. Sometimes? Sure; but always? Never.

I never DO anything; I just be here. I wish I were Scatman John, or at least had his heart (figuratively, of course). He was a human being, not a human doing, but in the good way. He wasn't a part of your system, man. He knew what he believed, and it was good.

Scatman John, you are the only one I love
But this isn't a blog about The Scatman because, as you know, he was a great somebody, but he has passed away, and nothing is ever written about the deceased.

What I realized today is that what I have halfway been striving for is passive greatness.
--Isn't that keen?

And hence!
I would like to say, ergo I will say: "Don't take any [poop] from anybody!" -Billy Joel.
--I don't believe in editing people, be it editing in literature or otherwise, but what would my parents think if they say a dirty word on my blog? Even were I quoting Billy Joel? He is a great man, maybe the best, but I am a hypocrite.

I am awful at blogging, but perhaps it will help me remember in years far away what went on in my non-significant yet perhaps not unimportant life. Thinking this way is important for the soul, I think. It's sort of a... positive/realistic(?) approach to life. I guess you could say that anyway... If you wanted to. Your choice. I don't care.

I know you all missed me.

7 comments:

  1. You are like a manlier, non-Jewish Anne Frank and I love your blog, so keep on truckin ole' Zeke!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't take any [shea] from anybody!" ;) Plus also you are not completely worthless, in my opinion, and my opinion is pretty darn important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why thank you, brandon. that is very nice and thoughtful. you are like a non-black, non-buff, non-kung-fu-ing, non-70s Black Dynamite.

    thank you too, tori june :) i think your opinion is important too, when it is in my favor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, it usually is in your favor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand...I am buff and I do know Kung-Fu...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, you conceal it very well. good job. then you are more like a non-chinese Jackie Chan. You are also younger and probably taller.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't believe this. i just tried to post my comment, and i got an error, losing my articulate and decently lengthy comment. i am QUITE irritated.

    so to sum up what i lost, no one compares to jackie chan, and tommy, you are awesome so quit being so introspective and angsty. everyone loves you, and your life is therefore significant. especially since you love us (or at least some of us) back.

    ReplyDelete